Senior Information Access Analyst
This is a CUPE LOCAL 50 position
Pay Grade 14, $43.20/hour
Monday - Friday, 35 hour/week
Victoria Police Department
JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Internal / External
Date of Issue: May 03, 2022
Closing Date: May 24, 2022
Competition Number: P08-22
Position Title: Senior Information Access Analyst
Legal / Executive Services
Number of Positions: One
Duration: Regular full-time
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST be received by 4:30 p.m. on the above closing date and must be complete, including all qualifications and experience relevant to this position. Please quote the competition number on your submission.
To apply please forward your submission electronically to: email@example.com.
Department / Division / Section:
- Police / Legal Services / Executive Services
- Perform functions that support VicPD’s compliances with the access to information provisions of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and for administration of the Legal Services Section.
- Receives, researches and retrieves requested information, including information of an extremely sensitive and confidential nature from various sections within the Department. Analyzes, prioritizes, processes and prepares responses to complex requests for information in accordance with FIPPA.
- Processes information requests by analyzing and consulting on records, interpreting and applying FIPPA to determine whether information will be withheld or disclosed; preparing records for disclosure (severing – line by line electronic review of the records) and preparing the appropriate response referencing applicable statutory law. Advises VicPD employees on conducting adequate searches for records. Sets priorities and meeting deadlines in order to achieve compliance with legislated timelines. Recommends the treatment of records involving personal information pursuant to FIPPA.
- Responds to enquiries from staff, the public and outside agencies by providing information and advice regarding access to information in accordance with FIPPA and internal policy and procedures as they relate to Departmental records.
- Liaises with Portfolio Officers from the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC); participates independently, as directed, in mediations and reviews before the OIPC.
- Communicates with and works with the Information and Privacy Manager to prepare detailed submissions, including gathering evidence and preparing drafts of legal process documentation for the OIPC.
- Liaises with other social and law enforcement agencies seeking disclosure of Departmental records; applies and interprets Memoranda of Understanding on information exchange. Determines whether the disclosure of personal information constitutes a reasonable interpretation of FIPPA such as providing sensitive information to various external agencies.
- Participates in the preparation of Privacy Impact Assessments on all projects, programs, activities, systems relating to the collection, protection and retention of personal information by the Department.
- Participates in the development and delivery of access/privacy orientation of sworn and non-sworn employees.
- Types a variety of letters, memos, reports and forms; sort, photocopy, fax and file documents, correspondence and reports related to the processing of information access requests; enters and maintains a variety of manual and computerized records relating to the tracking of information requests.
- Performs related duties where qualified.
- Work is generated by requests for information by the public, the Department, legal counsel and is reviewed upon completion.
- Issues such as release of sensitive information and policy issues are referred to the Information and Privacy Manager if necessary.
- Sit with arms unsupported while keyboarding. (often)
- Sit with arms unsupported while mousing. (continuous)
- Lift and move heavy boxes of archived records. (rare)
- Determines the release of sensitive information. (continuous)
- Meet statutory deadlines. (frequent)
- Deal with complaints and negative comments. (occasional)
- Focus on a variety of source data and VDT for extended periods of time. (continuous)
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of police information and records management systems including CPIC and other agencies information systems.
- Strong computer skills.
- In-depth knowledge of FIPPA and the general principles of access and privacy.
- Type 50 wpm.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Deal with public in courteous and tactful manner.
- Organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to deal with stressful situations.
- Sound working knowledge of applicable statutes and acts.
- Analytical and decision-making ability.
Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification:
- Degree or diploma in a related discipline supplemented by industry-recognized professional courses.).
- Information and Access Privacy Certificate from a recognized Canadian University or Certification under the Canadian Association of Professional Access and Privacy Administrators or Certified Information Privacy Professional from the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
- 2 years of related experience in a policing environment and 5 years working experience in Information and Protection of Privacy legislation or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
- Required to obtain security and criminal record clearance.
- Required to sign attestation of confidentiality.
Job Description: 4097 “under review”