Records Specialist – Information Management
This is a CUPE LOCAL 50 position
Pay Grade 8 - $32.14/hr
Regular Full Time - 2 day shifts, 2 night shifts, 4 days off
Job Vacancy Posting – Internal / External
DATE OF ISSUE: January 12/2022 CLOSING DATE: January 26/2022
Competition Number: P01-22
Position Title: Police Records Specialist
Number of Positions: One
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST be received by 4:30 p.m. on the above closing date and must be complete, including all qualifications and experience relevant to this position. Please quote the competition number on your submission.
To apply please forward your submission electronically to: email@example.com.
Department / Division / Section:
• Police / Information Management / Records
• Provides the first point of contact for Records services and works as a collaborative team member of the Patrol Watches administering Records Management support and solutions. Creates reports and conducts data entry into the Provincial Records Management System and the Canadian Police Information System (CPIC) to assist the investigating officers in police arrests and completion of investigative files. Conducts file review in the first instance to ensure PRIME standards and Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) requirements are met.
• Enter, update, modify, delete and import data and digital media into the Digital Evidence and Police Records Management System.
• Conducts filing and maintains both hardcopy and electronic files within the Records Management System.
• Upload and review PRIME files received from the investigating officers to ensure entities and vehicles are accurately entered and updated in the Master Name Indexes. Liaise with officers via MDT, telephone and e-mail regarding file corrections and requests for service. Review and correct Canadian Centre Justice Statistics (CCJS) errors and ensure the offence codes under the Uniform Crime Report (UCR) codes are reviewed and accurate in the first instance for each transcribed report; route investigative reports to the appropriate sections for quality and investigative review.
• Query and extract file information, documentation and criminal records to assist in the preparation of court and telebail proceedings.
• Provide information on operations and processes of the Records Section including police report and CPIC information to authorized personnel/agencies. Review, research and confirm all warrant requests. Review, route and distribute Court and CPIC correspondence and documentation including, memos and reports to the Court and CPIC Operators. Participates and provides solutions to problems relating to records management with other team members.
• Download police investigative photographs and videos for submission as property exhibit for court analysis and archival purposes.
• Query, add, remove, locate and confirm CPIC Records as required. Monitor, distribute and process the incoming CPIC messages in the absence of the CPIC Specialists. Compose and send CPIC narrative messages for officers and liaise with external agencies as needed.
• Review finger print submission in the first instance for any errors and for sworn information in the court module of PRIME; conduct detailed research and analysis in matching known offender fingerprints.
• Perform queries on the provincial criminal justice system (JUSTIN) related to warrant validation; query CORNET to assist officers in determining whether a potential suspect is currently incarcerated.
• Generate and write police reports as required for assistance to Outside Agency files.
• Extract and calculate the Calls for Service shift data for the Watch Commander for the shift summary reports.
• Respond to enquiries from external agencies, Victim Services, E-Comm and police employees for requests for file retrieval and information; receive and distribute incoming fax notifications received in Records. Compose, type and issue routine correspondence as directed. Provide backup Switchboard call answering and monitoring of the department’s main contact email address for time sensitive emails on weekends or in the absence of the Data Entry/Archivist.
• Respond and report on all building panic alarms by calling 9-1-1 to notify E-Comm of the activation and provide the location of the alarm within the police department, while ensuring the Patrol Watch Commander are notified. Assist the Jail Sergeant in conducting weekly testing of the panic alarms throughout the building to ensure all alarms are in working order.
• Perform related functions such as photocopying, scanning, faxing documents, picking-up and distributing the mail.
• Update and maintain procedure manual.
• Perform related duties where required.
• Work is generated through occurrence files or performed according to established routine.
• Work is reviewed periodically through audits by supervisor.
• Problems are referred to supervisor.
• Sit with arms unsupported while keyboarding. (frequent)
• Lift and carry medium weight stacks of files. (rare)
• Work from ladders while filing. (frequent
• Exposure to disturbing material. (often).
• Ability to remain focused during constant interruptions. (frequent)
• Focus on a variety of source data and VDT for short periods. (frequent)
• This is a shift position.
• Exposure to dust and dirt while archiving.
Key Skills and Abilities:
• Strong time management and organizational skills.
• Ability to provide solutions to problems.
• Able to work with minimal supervision
• Understand and apply the techniques of Records management, the criminal code and the criminal justice system.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Type 60 wpm; working knowledge of Police Department computer systems, operate a variety of office equipment.
• Deal with the public and outside agencies.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification:
• High school graduation.
• 1-year relevant post-secondary education.
• 1 year of related Police experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
• Required to work alone during night shift.
• Required to obtain and maintain security and criminal record clearance.
• Required to sign attestation of confidentiality.
Job Description: 4031