Business Analyst – Community Engagement
This is a CUPE LOCAL 50 Position
Monday - Friday, 35 hrs/week
$50.07/hour (pay grade 17)
VICTORIA POLICE DEPARTMENT
JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Internal / External
Date of Issue: October 6/2021
Closing Date: October 20/2021
Competition Number: P15-21
Position Title: Business Analyst Community Engagement
Number of Positions: One
Duration: Regular full-time
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST be received by 4:30 p.m. on the above closing date and must be complete, including all qualifications and experience relevant to this position. Please quote the competition number on your submission.
To apply please forward your submission electronically to: email@example.com.
Department / Division / Section:
- Police / Administration / Community Engagement
- Coordinate, plan, conduct and report on corporate research projects, operational program and business process evaluations, organizational performance against established benchmarks, and business process reviews. Make recommendations for process or program improvements to meet the Department’s business and information needs more efficiency.
- Prepare high-quality written and/or electronic reports and presentations for both internal and public distribution. Use a variety of different types of research and analysis to support recommendations for operational decision-making.
- Coordinate the development of a short-term and long-term corporate reporting strategy, including recommendations for data and statistics management. Use advanced business intelligence and analytical tools to improve information-sharing, both internally and to the public.
- Lead and coordinate projects to review, analyse and evaluate operational programs and business processes and enhance their efficiency to meet corporate strategies; liaise with affected divisions to determine business and operational requirements; and develop and document the scope, objectives, and expected benefits of projects.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement to lead change. Re-engineer and streamline existing business processes for improved efficiency to eliminate or reduce duplication and redundancy; research best practices and leading-edge options for business process solutions and technology; use judgement to link, translate and map business requirements to corporate and departmental strategies and goals.
- Act as project manager for business solution projects; coordinate departmental, IT and external resources to ensure timely, effective implementation of projects. Schedule and monitor the work of consultants. Lead the evaluation, assessment, and co-ordination of system changes to improve the efficiency of corporate systems and business processes. Make recommendations and implement business process and systems changes while ensuring adherence to technological and accounting best practices and standards; apply and adhere to project management principles and the system development life cycle.
- Facilitate and follow up during implementation and testing stages; provide input into the selection of products, strategies and designs by leading user committees and consulting with user groups. Determine needs assessment and represent client issues at committee tables; communicate to customers through presentations and workshops; represent the department on corporate projects and committees as required.
- Perform related duties where qualified.
- Work is generated by annual objectives and end user issue identification.
- Work is reviewed through discussions with Supervisor.
- Issues such as major expenditure, system changes and resource/policy matters are discussed with Supervisor with recommendations.
- Sit with arms unsupported while keyboarding and moussing. (frequent)
- Meet multiple project deadlines with conflicting priorities. (often)
- Long periods of intense concentration while preparing reports, recommendations, performing reviews and testing application software. (often)
- Focus on a variety of source data and computer for long periods. (often)
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Organize and prioritize work.
- Understand and apply the principles and methods of business process analysis system development life cycle, project management and enterprise architecture and computerized accounting systems.
- Advanced level operation of current department advanced specialty software.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, including charting.
- Experience with SQL concepts, business intelligence tools (i.e. Qlik, Tableau, PowerBI, Pentaho, EasyBI) and reporting systems.
- Interpret related policies and regualtions.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to user depeartments.
- Research and analyse needs and facilitate meetings and workshops.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Deal effectively with the public and outside agencies.
Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification:
- Degree or Diploma in Computer Science or a related/equivalent field.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience including information technology experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Required to obtain enhanced security and criminal record clearance.
- Required to sign attestation of confidentiality.
- May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
Job Description: 4392 – “under review”